You’ve likely come up with some New Year’s resolutions for yourself already, but have you thought of some for you and your dog? The New Year is a great time to build some new habits and live a healthier life with your dog. We’ve created a list to get you off to a great start in 2019!
- Play more with your dog! With the cold weather, you may be inside more, so take that time to play games with your dog and give them the mental stimulation they thrive on!
- Teach your dog a new trick. This goes hand in hand with our first New Years resolution to give your dog the mental stimulation they need! You can use their daily meals to teach them a trick and give them the satisfaction of working for their food! Not to mention you’ll have a great time showing off to your friends and deepen your relationship with your pup!
- Commit to at least a 30 minute walk with your pup! Playtime is great, but there’s nothing better than getting your pup out to sniff some new smells and enjoy the fresh air. Bundle up and explore somewhere new with them! It’ll keep both of you in shape for when warmer weather rolls around and prevent them from gaining extra weight.
- Add fresh foods to your pet’s diet! It’ll add some excitement to their meals, not to mention give your pup the benefits of antioxidant-rich foods like blueberries and spinach. Our pup will stare us down for a bit of our salad, so your pup may surprise you with their palate if you give them the opportunity! Some things you can add to your pet’s diet include eggs, sardines, yogurt, and fruits and veggies!
- Work on your pup’s manners! Did you struggle last year with your pup’s behavior around the holidays? Consider hiring a trainer now so you can be prepared for next year’s festivities and enjoy the benefits of a well-behaved pup for years to come!
- Cut back on treats with your pup! Maybe they overindulged over the holidays with table scraps just like we all tend to do. Dole out treats more judiciously and make them count so you can encourage good behavior.
- Consider chiropractic or acupuncture! Do you have an active, young dog or even an older pup that could benefit from holistic treatment? Give your pup the gift of ease of movement so they can enjoy their life with you to the fullest.
- Brush their teeth! You might have thought about this last year but just never got around to it. Brushing your dog’s teeth can be hugely beneficial to their periodontal health and prevent you from having to put them under for a dental cleaning. Win-win!
- Clean out old toys/ treats!
- Donate gently-used toys to a local shelter or rescue! Your pup may have gotten lots of goodies over the holidays, so make space for them and share with pups who can benefit! Many rescues have wishlists of needed items if you’re not sure what they need!
- Learn some dog massage techniques!- It’ll help loosen up your pup’s muscles and give you lots of great time to bond.
- Make sure your pet’s ID tag is up to date with your current information! It’s the best way to make sure your pup finds their way home if they get lost!
- Try a new activity with your pup! There are lots of fun dog sports to try with your pup!
- Groom your pup daily- It helps remove extra fur but also keeps their coat healthy and shiny! It’s also another great bonding activity!
Hopefully we’ve given you some ideas to start the New Year off right with your pup! Now that the holidays are over, take some time to think about how you can improve your pup’s health and life with you! This is the time to make sure your pup has the best year yet!